DISABLED SOCIAL SECURITY & SSI EXEMPTION
KRS 150.175 (aa) states that Kentucky residents certified totally and permanently disabled are eligible to purchase the discounted Senior/Disabled Combination Hunting and Fishing License ($5), but must first obtain a disability authorization card to be able to purchase this special license. The procedure is as follows:
If your disability is through the:
- Federal Social Security Administration – call the federal social security office at 1-800-772-1213 to request a printout or go to www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount to print one yourself. The printout must show your name, address and social security number. This form must also state that you are disabled and drawing benefits.
- Veteran’s Administration – contact your local VA office and request a letter stating your disability is at least 50% service connected.
- State Worker’s Compensation Board – Request an application from KDFWR, complete it and send it to the State Worker's Compensation Board.
- United States Railroad Retirement Board – contact the Board and request a letter stating you are 100% disabled.
- Kentucky Teacher Retirement System – contact the Teacher Retirement System and request written documentation stating you are 100% disabled.
- United States Office of Personnel Management – contact the federal Office of Personnel Management and obtain certification of employment, obtain certification of being 100% disabled from a recognized authority, and obtain documentation of being a Kentucky resident.
TO OBTAIN YOUR AUTHORIZATION CARD, DO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Mail your disability certification (and proof of residency as noted in #6 above) to: KDFWR, Disability License, #1 Sportsman's Lane, Frankfort, KY 40601, or
- Fax the form to: Disability License, (502) 564-9845, or
- Bring the form in person to the KDFWR office in Frankfort during business hours (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.).
Once the documentation is processed, you will receive an authorization card that allows you to purchase the $5 license from ANY license vendor. You must present the authorization card at time of purchase. Authorization cards are valid for three years – do not lose the authorization card or you will have to repeat the process unnecessarily the next year.
Holders of Senior/Disabled Combination Licenses, if qualifying for the license due to eligible disability, must carry both the license and authorization card while hunting and fishing.
NOTE: We cannot accept an award letter, copy of a check or Medicare Card.
Call 800-858-1549 for more information.