Disability License Exemption Information


KRS 150.175 (aa) states that Kentucky residents certified totally and permanently disabled are eligible to purchase the discounted Senior/Disabled Combination Hunting and Fishing License ($5), but must first obtain a disability authorization card to be able to purchase this special license. The procedure is as follows:

If your disability is through the:

  1. Federal Social Security Administration – call the federal social security office at 1-800-772-1213 to request a printout or go to  www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount to print one yourself. The printout must show your name, address and social security number. This form must also state that you are disabled and drawing benefits. 
  2. Veteran’s Administration – contact your local VA office and request a letter stating your disability is at least 50% service connected.
  3. State Worker’s Compensation Board – Request an application from KDFWR, complete it and send it to the State Worker's Compensation Board.
  4. United States Railroad Retirement Board – contact the Board and request a letter stating you are 100% disabled.
  5. Kentucky Teacher Retirement System – contact the Teacher Retirement System and request written documentation stating you are 100% disabled.
  6. United States Office of Personnel Management – contact the federal Office of Personnel Management and obtain certification of employment, obtain certification of being 100% disabled from a recognized authority, and obtain documentation of being a Kentucky resident.


  • Mail your disability certification (and proof of residency as noted in #6 above) to: KDFWR, Disability License, #1 Sportsman's Lane, Frankfort, KY 40601, or
  • Fax the form to: Disability License, (502) 564-9845, or
  • Bring the form in person to the KDFWR office in Frankfort during business hours (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.).

Once the documentation is processed, you will receive an authorization card that allows you to purchase the $5 license from ANY license vendor. You must present the authorization card at time of purchase. Authorization cards are valid for three years – do not lose the authorization card or you will have to repeat the process unnecessarily the next year.

Holders of Senior/Disabled Combination Licenses, if qualifying for the license due to eligible disability, must carry both the license and authorization card while hunting and fishing.

NOTE: We cannot accept an award letter, copy of a check or Medicare Card.

Call 800-858-1549 for more information.