The daily limit (noon to noon) is 15. The possession limit is 30. If bullfrogs are taken by gun or bow and arrow, a hunting license is required. If taken by pole and line, a fishing license is required.
If frogs are taken by gig or by hand, either a hunting or fishing license is valid. It is illegal to possess a gig on a stream or lake, or in a boat, from Nov. 1 through Jan. 31.
Snapping turtles (except alligator snapping turtles) and soft shell turtles may be taken year-round with no bag limit, but may not be harvested for commercial purposes.
A hunting license is required if turtles are taken by gun or bow and arrow. Consult the Kentucky Fishing & Boating Guide for information on other legal means of harvest.
Wild pigs may be hunted year-round, with no bag limit, except on Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area.
Shooting hours are 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset. However, hunters may be in the field before and after shooting hours. A hunting license is required unless the hunter is license exempt.
Landowners are strongly encouraged to work with Kentucky Fish and Wildlife to remove wild pigs from their property. Trapping is the most effective method of removal.
Tell your local conservation officer about the use of snares and/or corral traps on your property.
Wild pigs must be killed at the trap site, and not released. It is illegal to possess, sell or transport wild pigs in Kentucky.
To report sightings, illegal activities related to wild pigs, or to get advice on effective control, contact Kentucky Fish and Wildlife at 1-800-858-1549.
Groundhogs may be hunted statewide, year-round, with no bag limit. A hunting license is required unless the hunter is license exempt. Shooting hours are 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset.
- Some species of exotic, non-native birds (pheasant, chukar, and Eurasian collared dove) may be hunted year-round, with no hunting license required and no bag limit.
- English sparrows and starlings may be hunted year-round, with no bag limit, but a hunting license is required, unless license exempt.
- Pheasants released during quota hunts are not open to year-round hunting on Green River Lake WMA, Yellowbank WMA and Clay WMA.
- All birds of prey and native songbirds are protected under state and federal laws and may not be taken.
HOOFED STOCK (OTHER THAN WHITE-TAILED DEER and ELK)
- Exotic, non-native hoofed stock may be hunted year-round.
- No license required.
- No bag limit or checking requirement.
- Fallow deer are not legal to hunt on Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area.
MAMMALS and OTHER WILDLIFE
- The spotted skunk, a rare species found in eastern Kentucky, is a protected species and may not be taken.
- All federally threatened or endangered species are protected under state and federal laws and may not be taken.