The Becoming an Outdoors-Woman Program (BOW) is an international program sponsored in part by the KDFWR and other partners including Kentucky State Parks and the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Foundation. BOW is designed primarily for adult age women interested in building confidence and outdoor skills relevant in hunting and fishing.
Workshops range from 1-3 day events and are held at various locations across Kentucky. Come find out why thousands of women have already participated in this unique opportunity to learn more about hunting, fishing, boating and wildlife- related adventures in the Bluegrass State!
2019 BOW Event Dates
All events will have ONLINE registration. Please check back on our website 1 or 2 months ahead of the event date to register! A link will be posted when registration is open.
- March 30- Introduction to Archery/Bowhunting, M and M Archery located in Independence, KY The archery clinic is for ladies that are new to archery or those who want to gain more knowledge about compound bows and/or bowhunting! The clinic will cover 11 steps of archery, determining eye dominance, shooting Genesis bows, bowhunting and touring the archery shop! The afternoon will be filled with bowhunting where you will learn about equipment, tree stands, scouting, how to practice and anything else that you would need to go on your first bowhunting experience. The day will be also filled with range time to shoot! You are welcome to bring your own compound bow to practice with at the event. We will have bows available for everyone to use. Event fee is $20.00 Participants sign up here: http://app.fw.ky.gov/eventregistration/startpage.aspx?REGID=101
- April 6 - Beyond BOW Kayak Fishing Event (Owsley Fork Reservoir Berea, KY). Come see why kayak fishing is becoming more and more popular! There will not be an event fee, but only a fishing license is necessary to participate! We will go over types of equipment needed for kayak fishing, basic water safety, and an introduction to basic fishing. We will be kayak fishing on the water of Owsley Fork in beautiful Berea. We will be furnishing kayaks, lifejackets and fishing poles. If you have your own kayak you can bring it to the day of the event. To Register: http://app.fw.ky.gov/eventregistration/startpage.aspx?REGID=94
- May 18- Hike at West 6 Farm Frankfort, KY Join us on a leisurely 60-90 minute hike through West 6 Brewery Farm in Frankfort KY. This is a chance for us to talk about anything that we see along the way from birds, plants, and wildlife. You will also get to learn and see how West 6 uses the Farm for the brewery. Participants must be 21 years and up. Event Free is $5.00. Participants sign up here: http://app.fw.ky.gov/eventregistration/startpage.aspx?REGID=100
- September 13-15 - BOW Weekend Camp Wallace (103 Camp Earl Wallace Rd. Monticello, KY 42633) This is a weekend long event! Registration fee of $95 will cover food, lodging and classes. You can bring your own tent or you can stay in the cabin. Participants will be able take four classes during the course of the weekend. A brief overview of some of the classes being offered is fishing, nature craft classes, basic/advanced firearm safety and learn to hunt classes! And much more!
To Register: A registration link will be posted here on this website and on our Kentucky Becoming an Outdoors Woman Facebook (@kentuckybow) page as well.
The BOW workshops are for you if......
- You have never tried these activities, but have hoped for an opportunity to learn.
- You are a beginner who hopes to improve your skills.
- You know how to do some of these activities, but would like to try your hand at some new ones.
- You are just looking for the camaraderie of like-minded individuals.
Some of the classes held at most workshops are.....
- Basics of Archery
- Wild Game Cooking
- Basics/Advanced Fishing
- Introduction to Wild Mushrooms
- Survival in the Outdoors
- Edible Wild Plants
- Basics of Fly Tying
- Basics of Hunting in KY
- Pistol Safety
- Basic Rifle Use and Safety
- Tree Identification
- Basic Shotgun and Safety
- Wildlife ID and Game Tracking
Conducted by the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources, Department of Parks, the Cooperative Extension Service, and the University of Kentucky.
Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
1 Sportsman's Lane
Frankfort, KY 40601
Becoming an Outdoors Woman Coordinator
1 Sportsman's Lane
Frankfort, KY 40601
1-800-858-1549 X 4493
Click here to e-mail for more information.
To be placed on the BOW mailing list for notification of events or to receive more information,
please call 1-800-858-1549 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Click An Image to View More